Wednesday 7 May 2014

Texturing Project

We recently got set an intense 3D project for one week for us noobs. To unwrap, texture and rig 2 models supplied to us by the Uni. This was a project focusing on the texturing mainly which happened to be something I struggled with in my other projects focusing more on things like modelling and rigging and in a recent assessment the texturing was what really let me down so I wanted to commit to this project, give 120% effort and create some awesome textures. I would still go for it on the rig as well because I enjoy that but the main test for me was to make good textures and enjoy it.


I decided because these were quite stylised models that I was going to paint the textures myself which completely paid off. I had a blast learning new tools in Photoshop and new techniques to enhance the textures. On of the most useful was how to make cloth textures and then pattern overlay them onto my texture sheet to create the illusion of jeans and patterns on the jackets. I also had loads of fun using different types of layers (mainly overlays and soft light) to create folds and creases in the clothes which made an amazing effect when the bumpmaps and speculars were applied.

My characters were inspired by the game Deus Ex: Human Revolution game with small augments on their bodies and arms where I looked at how muscles looked in real arms to create nice organic structures in the augments.

Here are videos of the models doing fairy dances which test the rigs really well but because each model is 1500 tris it still has some major deformation.                                                                                                            



Here are the models in the sketchfab 3D viewer which I have finally found out how to embed.


Low poly dude by Max_Bostock on Sketchfab

No comments:

Post a Comment