Sunday 22 March 2015

Off the Map Part 6

The next step in our project was to start planning what Alice was going to say as she moved. Through the world. We wanted to keep it close to the book so most of what she would say when reacting to her journey was pulled directly from the book or paraphrased to suit the way a game would be interpreted. We also wanted Alice to occasionally have conversations with the characters in wonderland as these episodic conversations are what makes the book so great.

This proved to be much more of a challenge then thought at first, because the book would be short on usable quotes to use in some areas and full of them in others. We wanted to ad some interactivity to the caterpillar conversation where Alice could choose multiple choice answers and the player could craft their own conversations with the angry insect. This was very hard because the book wasn't structured in that way so making it always seem like the possible answers are something that Alice would say. Once I put the basic structure of these conversation and most of the quotes and lines I could think of they were sent to other members of the group to expand upon and improve.

I then moved on to the next section of the project which was trees. This was something that I really started obsessing into doing many many iterations as I improved and learnt new software packages and workflows. I knew that it would take a while to get some nice looking trees and I would have to make quite a few because of the amount that would be in the game. Large sections of the game are forests and it is crucial that they look good. This would eventually be tackled in many different ways as I learnt how to improve the quality of my 3D in many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment