Saturday 8 February 2014

Balloon Modelling...Making it Real

So I've already developed an Airship (look to the last post if you need help) and now I've been tasked with making a real-life model of it. Now aside from assembling some Warhammer in my youth I've never been particularly amazing at making things with my clumsy hands. However I'm determined to pull out the stops on this project expansion and get the job done to a high quality.

The important lesson involved with this though is to understand how to visualize the 3D world. If I understand how things would look in the real world then it can help me to translate this into the 2D world in my artwork. It can also develop my 3D software skills where if I can build it in real life it will give my an understanding of what shapes make it and use that knowledge to construct it easily and efficiently on the computer. It's a brilliant example of how this course and game art cant be split into groups because it all flows together and works of the same principles.

So away we go. After doing a quick page of sketches trying to understand the balloon and the shapes in it a began by making a wire frame of the boat section and using some cheap modelling clay (I am a student) to bulk out the shape.

I then acquired a rugby ball from a flat mate for the balloon part and used paper mache on the boat and the ball (dont worry I covered it in a bag to protect it). I layered this a couple of times and left it over night to dry.

Once it had dried I had to cut it in half so I could give the rugby ball back to the flatmate. I then added another layer of paper mache to seal it back together.


The next stage was to paper mache the boat section and cover it in modelling clay so it could add details to make the appearance of wooden planks like in real boats. I also added the arms for the boat which would have the fans at either end.

I then made the fins and rudder for the balloon and painted the balloon. The boat was also painted next first with a coat of dark brown, then it was an ink wash and finally a dry brush highlight of yellow ochre.



While the paint was drying I made the fan and ladder sections and when dry attached them. I wrapped copper wire around them to make them seem metallic.


After that all that was left was to connect the balloon and the boat. The details were also added and bingo! My vehicle was created.



I had a lot of fun with this project because it helped me understand my vehicle in more depth but also the shapes that make it up, how they fit together and how they create structure for the vehicle. When making the boat shape I made a frame for it out of wire (a wire frame) like you might in 3DS Max which gave me an idea of how to see and plan how to make things in 3D.

2 comments: